Monday, February 8, 2016

Storm Shawl - a free pattern!



Regular readers would have heard all about my favourite scarf/shawl from 2015. This was the first semi-circle I ever knitted, using a beautiful gradient set from Dark Harbour Yarn. I wore it with everything bright that needed a simple accessory. It was my go-to, a step in a different direction from all the yellow I usually wear, and I loved it.

Then I lost it. Losing a favourite garment is horrible, but losing one you made is just the worst! After turning the house upside down to try and find it (added benefits = very tidy house afterwards). I asked at every location it could possibly be left at. And no luck. It was gone. But then I thought about this as an opportunity to double check if the pattern I hastily scribbled down as I knit the shawl actually made sense. I quickly ordered another gradient set and got to work replacing my favourite.


The philosophy of this pattern is pretty simple. Set up the shawl, then continue knitting until you've added in each colour and have pretty much ran out of yarn, then bind off. 
The hem is slightly rolled, a neat finish if you're not really into lacy edges.
 The pattern repeat, after the set up, is done over four rows, and this is a great introduction to yarn overs. 
Just a note - aside from me knitting this scarf twice, this has not been test-knitted. I had a go at this to show off some lovely yarn, and a few people have asked how I made it, so here it is! Get yourself some amazing Dark Harbour Yarn Port Fingering Merino in the Mare Vaporum gradient set to make one. This set comes with six mini skeins, going from light grey to charcoal. 


How to make:

You need: 
Dark Harbour Yarn's Port Fingering Merino - Mare Vaporum Gradient
4mm needles

Gauge: 
24 sts and 38 rows over four inches after blocking.
Gauge isn't completely essential - I just carried on until I ran out of yarn!

Instructions:

Starting with the lightest coloured skein, cast on 3 stitches.
Row 1: Kfb, K1, Kfb (5 st total)
Row 2: Knit
Row 3: Kfb, K3, Kfb (7 st total)
Row 4: Knit
Row 5: Kfb, K5, Kfb (9 st total)
Row 6: K3, *YO, K1, repeat from * across to last 3 st, YO, K3 (13 st total)
Row 7: K3, purl to last 3 st, K3
Row 8: Knit
Row 9: K3, purl to last 3 st, K3
Row 10: K3, YO, *K1, YO, PM, K1, PM, YO, repeat from * two more times to last 4 st, K1, YO, K3
Rows 11 - 13: repeat rows 7 - 9
Row 14: K3, YO, *K to marker, YO, SM, K1, SM, YO, repeat from * two more times, K to last 3 st, YO, K3
Repeat last four rows, working an increase row every fourth row = eight increased stitches every increase row.
Continue in this manner, joining in each new skein, from lightest to darkest, when you get to six inches of yarn – leave this to weave in.
Continue until you reach 21 inches from the cast-on point to the edge, measuring up the middle of the shawl, ending at the end of an increase row. 
K2 rows, bind off loosely. 
Block and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I love how elegant and simple it is. It really shows off the yarn!

    (Also, that is one awesome looking wall behind you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becca! And the wall is amazing, there's quite a bit of street art in our neighbourhood and this is one of the most colourful!

      Delete