Holiday makes and 2016 in review

I hope you're all having a great festive season and a bit of a break. I've done a lot of sleeping over the last week, and half way into my holiday, I'm finally feeling relaxed. It's been a bit quiet on the blog for a few weeks, and I don't know where the time has gone. There's been a lot of work to finish before the holiday, and lots of catching up with lovely friends before everyone vacated the city for the summer break. Which pretty much equals zero blogging time. But that's okay - it's been quite nice to be away from the computer for a while, and spend time with family and friends. And spending time making things!


These socks are finally getting finished. They've been on the needles for a few months now. This is sock number two of a pair, and I've suffered a severe case of Second Sock Syndrome. I've turned the heel and I'm rapidly heading towards the toe. I won't finish them by midnight tonight, but they will be done before I go back to work.

I've also just finished my Darling Ranges dress - photos to come - so I'm feeling quite productive over this holiday break. 

As for 2016 overall, I probably haven't been as productive with my knitting as I have in the past, although I've made a cardigan that's being worn to death and lots of little accessories. I published my Storm Shawl knitting pattern and upped my sewing game with a new overlocker and more challenging projects. I've been getting much better at only buying the yarn and supplies I need for a particular project, and the de-stashing has carried on all year.

And outside of making, for me at least, 2016 has been pretty good. I had my amazing trip to Paris where I was able to be just me without any other context. The job is going well, and I seem healthy enough.... I also turned 30 and it wasn't as scary as I thought it might be. 
But also, good friends haven't had it so easy this year, and I'm always in awe of their resilience, which is very inspiring. And then there's the very inspirational people we've all lost this year.... still for some of these, like David Bowie and Carrie Fisher, I don't have words. 

Worldwide events, namely Brexit and a certain election, have scared me, but I plan to remain hopeful and do more for my community - good can be found in the small things. I'm not sure how I'll do this yet, but I hope to figure it out over the remainder of my break.  Maybe this will be through making. Sometimes I find it hard to reconcile small things like knitting with big changes. Sometimes I can't see how this small act can make much of a difference, but I'm determined to be positive and hopeful. 

See you in 2017. 

Comments

Popular Posts