A frog in the new year



I've read a few new year's resolutions about getting projects done and all WIPs off the needles, and this is a goal I'm quite into. I like starting with a blank slate as I find it easier to plan my upcoming projects and really consider what I'd like to make. 
After posting yesterday, a comment I made really got me thinking.

My quest for the perfect cardigan still continues. I'm knitting my Isla at the moment, and while I like the way it's progressing, I'm not sure if it's the one...

I don't want to start my 2017 of making with doubts. There is nothing particularly wrong with this cardigan. I like the colour, the last ever three skeins of Rosewood Wool's DK in Kimono Joy is lovely, and I like the pattern by Cirilia Rose. It's written really well and so far it's been an easy knit. I've completed the back, and still have the sleeves and front to go.

But it's just not working for me. So I've frogged it.


I know I've made the right decision. It would be a real shame to spend all the time knitting this to have it languishing in a drawer and never worn. It's too similar a blue to some of the other clothes I wear, and a V-neck isn't a shape I wear often. This yarn is destined for something amazing, but I need to find the right pattern. Possibly a cowl for winter bike riding, maybe with cables?

This frog has also got me thinking about other hand-knits I've also finished that are languishing in a drawer. Things I love, but don't wear often. Like my bright yellow cabled crop sweater. I love it, but it's a bit short, so it doesn't get worn often. The options are to undo the bind-off and add a couple of inches to the ribbing, or frog it and make something new, or donate it. 

I'm not sure what to do with it, but I'm sad that I don't wear it as much as I once did. I'd say my style has changed a fair bit over the last two years - less vintage, more modern, and that definitely impacts on what hand knits I wear. I'll keep thinking about the yellow sweater, as it's a good reminder to really choose projects and yarns well, and think about about what will still work with an evolving personal style.



Comments

Popular Posts