I've been thinking about socks



This morning was a crisp one. After the storms earlier this week, I've been grateful for a very bright weekend, with bike rides, farmers' market grocery shopping and sunny knitting. I'm realising as I write this just how stereotypical and cliche that all sounds, but I'm pretty much fine with it. I've also spent a chunk of the weekend cleaning (Mum's coming for Mother's Day dinner - I thought I should make the dust bunny family move out) and several loads of washing are drying on the line. 

Included in the washing are about five pairs of hand knitted socks. I's been a while since I cast on a pair, but now that the weather's finally got cold (by Auckland standards, which isn't really cold) I've been thinking about my sock game. I have a few skeins of fingering weight yarn in the stash but all of them are silk blends. This would be fine if I took a bit more care of my hand knit socks, but they often end up in the washing machine and get a bit battered, so I'm thinking of another solution. 

My plan is to finish up a couple of leftover skeins that have been sitting in the stash for ages. I've got a bit of Happy Go Knitty BFL left (the darker blue in the photo) and a bit more of my Fibre2Go merino (lighter blue) and a tiny bit of my Uncommon Thread grey yarn. So I'm thinking the grey for the cuffs, heels and toes, and the others for the rest of the socks. I think I'll go with the Fibre2Go first just because I know there's enough left for a pair. I've never made socks with contrast heels and toes before, and I think this will be a good way to get into my stash without spending anything extra. 


And the endless ribbing of the Botanical Yoke Sweater continues. I'm almost finished with the body, about another inch to go, and then I need to get started on the sleeves. 

I'm progressing at a good speed, but I think the sleeves will trip me up a bit. There seems to be a fair amount of row counting for the increases, so I'm trying not to think about it, and might procrastinate a bit with getting started on the socks. Because that will fix everything!



Comments

  1. I'm in the same boat as you re complicated! I'm knitting a stranded top-down jersey for my daughter which involves colour work and increases at the same time....not good TV knitting as it requires concentration. So I've cast on a Station Wagon Blanket (from the first MDK Field Guide) - modular garter stitch strips, prefect for TV knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound complicated! Sometimes we all just need a bit of a brainless project at the same time as more difficult ones.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts